9433 Papermaking and Finishing Machine Operators
Papermaking and finishing machine operators operate process machinery and equipment and assist papermaking and coating control operators to produce, coat and finish paper. They are employed by pulp and paper companies.
View all titles
- assistant coating operator – pulp and paper
- balerman/woman – pulp and paper
- calender operator – pulp and paper
- embossing calender operator – pulp and paper
- fourth hand – pulp and paper
- graderman/woman – pulp and paper
- sheeter operator – pulp and paper
- winderman/woman – pulp and paper
Papermaking and finishing machine operators perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate and monitor various papermaking and finishing process machinery and equipment to dry, calender, laminate, coat, slit, trim, wind or carry out other papermaking and finishing process steps
- Mount, position and thread paper rolls using a hoist
- Control process machinery using a distributed control system and process computers
- Observe equipment and machinery, panel indicators, gauges, level indicators and other equipment instruments to detect machinery and equipment malfunctions and ensure process steps are carried out according to specifications
- Communicate with and assist papermaking and coating control operators to make process adjustments and to start up or shut down process machines as required
- Inspect paper visually for wrinkles, holes, discolouration, streaks or other defects and take corrective action
- Maintain and complete production reports.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of several weeks of formal company training and several months of on-the-job training is required.
- Previous experience as a labourer within the same company is usually required.
- There is limited mobility among jobs within this occupational group.
- A certificate in industrial first aid may be required.
- A competency certificate in natural gas may be required.
- Progression to papermaking and coating control operator occupations is possible with experience.
- Labourers in Wood, Pulp and Paper Processing
- Machine operators engaged in fabricating and assembling paper products
9435 Paper Converting Machine Operators
- Papermaking and Coating Control Operators
- Supervisors, Forest Products Processing